Acne Facial Treatments
Over the years, our team of skin care professionals have developed many effective treatments and treatment plans for our acne patients, who travel from far and wide to visit our skin care clinics in Green Point and Somerset West, Cape Town. Our medical practices are headed up by Dr Wade Merchant.
There are various treatment options as well as very basic at home skin care plans to both treat and maintain breakouts and acne skin conditions. These treatment options may include one or a combination of superficial chemical peels, dermapen microneedling, LED light therapy and/or customized acne facial treatments.
Chemical Peels – Acne treatments
A chemical peel holds the ability to enhance exfoliation, increase epidermal thickness and reduce matrix metalloproteinase activity while increasing collagen and treating acne. The Keratolytic action of a chemical peel assists in removing dead skin cell build up, preventing the clogging that promotes acne formation. Dirt is loosened from your pores, acne bacteria is neutralized and dark spots left behind after acne fade. At our practices, we offer the following chemical peels to treat acne::
- The mesoestetic Azelan Peel: Specially formulated to treat acne, pigmentation and rosacea.
- The NeoStrata Retinol peel: Retinol is the no.1 active ingredient, across the globe, used in anti-aging skincare treatments and products. Among physicians, retinol continues to be a proven ingredient for the management of adjunctive care of photo-damage (sun damaged skin), anti-aging and acne.
Dermapen Microneedling – Acne treatments
How does Dermapen Microneedling work?
- We use the Dermapen MD to create safe pathways to deliver quality mesoestetic serums into the skin to target either preventative aging skin concerns, acne, scarring or pigmentation.
- We micro-injure the skin, known in medicine as a ”controlled injury”. The body then uses its own natural healing powers (PRP, stem cells and growth factors) to heal the treated area.
- New collagen and elastin are now being produced by the body; tightening the skin and healing scars, fine lines. Leaving our patients with a more youthful and rejuvenated skin.
- Because the Dermapen MD creates safe pathways for product delivery, we can also treat deeper layers of pigmentation, acne, scarring, melasma and sun damaged skin by using the correct medical grade serum(s) to treat these conditions.
LED Light Therapy – Acne Treatments
- LED Light Therapy has proven results and settings to treat an array of conditions, but has been found to be most effective for treating acne and rosacea.
- LED Light therapy destroys the bacteria that causes acne, known as the P. Acnes Bacteria.
- These are not just “normal lights”, these are clinically proven wavelengths of UV-free LED lights.
- It works by using an array of bright light-emitting diodes that send low-level light energy into the deeper layers of the skin.
Treatment plans & Consultations
At your consultation, one of our highly skilled and experienced Aesthetic Therapists will conduct a detailed skin analysis and diagnosis. We will provide you a very specific and easy to follow treatment plan, including the correct at home care recommendations, for your skin type and skin care goals. All of our treatment plans are reviewed by our medical doctor, Dr Wade Merchant.
Are these acne treatments suitable for anyone?
- Should the barrier of your skin be impaired we cannot perform most of our acne treatments.
- An acne patient with an impaired skin barrier would most likely start off with a LED light therapy session and the correct at home care to prepare their skin for the most appropriate in-clinic treatment.
- All of our acne treatments are suitable for both teenagers and adults.
- We have assisted patients as young as 10 and many patients who struggle with adult acne.
- These treatments are also safe for all skin types and tones.
- Important note: You should never apply a peel or harsh actives to active acne as it may cause post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIHP), which can lead to acne scarring. It would be our recommendation to first book a consultation with one of our highly skilled and qualified skincare professionals.
Is an at home skin routine important?
It’s essential to continue to manage breakouts, recurring acne and to prevent acne with the correct ingredients. In our opinion, at home care is more important or a better a starting point, than in-clinic treatments.
Before and after:
What’s the cost:
For our up-to-date Price List, visit our Price List or feel free to get in touch. One of our representatives will be able to guide you through the bookings process.
To shop online, visit our online skin store www.skinspot.co.za. When buying online you will earn Skin Spot rewards and receive free delivery nationwide.
Book a free viritual or in-clinc consultation, follow the treatment plan and enjoy the results!
Dr Wade Merchant is a medical doctor with a special interest in aesthetic and anti-ageing medicine, he has been administering and injecting Botox and Dysport for over 5 years at his practices in Green Point & Somerset West. Dr Wade is also qualified with a 2-year Advanced Diploma in Aesthetic Medicine.
Dr Melinda Dommisse is a qualified medical doctor who qualified from Stellenbosch University. She moved to London where she did her aesthetic training and worked as a GP with a special interest in aesthetic and anti-aging medicine. Prior to returning to South Africa she worked at 2 well-known clinics in Harley Street, London
OUR GREEN POINT PRACTICE
OUR SOMERSET WEST PRACTICE
021 433 0967
173 Main Road
(Corner of Main and Clyde Road)
Green Point, Cape Town
Location on Google Maps
021 433 0967
Corner of the R44 & De Beers Avenue
(Inside of the Paardevlei Complex)
Paardevlei Rising 1 (Building name)
*We are opposite the Cheetah Sanctuary
1st Floor, Unit 102, Paardevlei, Somerset West
Location on Google Maps