Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) explained
PRP, famously known as the “vampire facial”, is available at our practices in Green Point and Somerset West.
For years, professional athletes have been using PRP therapy for physical injury. The athlete’s own platelet-rich plasma is injected into their joints, muscles, or other injury locations. Also, veterinarians have begun using the same concept to treat various animals suffering from arthritis. It’s medically proven that the body has an amazing power to heal itself by using it’s own plasma and growth factors.
PRP used in Aesthetic Medicine
PRP is a procedure that involves withdrawing a patient’s blood, processing it via a centrifuge to isolate/extract the platelet-rich plasma PRP from the patient’s own blood, then re-injecting and microneedling the patient’s own PRP into the skin to reduce wrinkles, rejuvenate the skin, treat acne or acne scarring and create a more youthful appearance.
PRP treatments options
- PRP Microneedling: We use a microneedling device, known as the Dermapen MD, to needle-in the PRP.
- PRP Mesotherapy: Done by injecting the PRP superficially (one injection at a time, by hand) to target the patient’s most pressing area of concern.
- PRP Hair Restoration: By injecting the PRP into the balding areas of the scalp, the PRP will stimulate hair growth as well as to promote hair thickness.
For skin rejuvenation, we will most likely combine microneedling and mesotherapy to perform the vampire facial treatment.
How is a PRP treatment performed
- A medical grade numbing cream is applied for 20 – 30 minutes; the skin is properly numbed.
- A sample of the patient’s blood will be withdrawn, then processed via a centrifuge to isolate/extract the platelet-rich plasma (PRP).
- PRP is then reinjected into the patient’s most pressing area of concern.
- This is followed by infusing the PRP into the skin via the Dermapen MD microneedling device.
- A medical grade concealer (Lycogel) and SPF (Heliocare) is then applied to further speed up recovery and cover any immediate post treatment redness.
- Most patients leave without any concealer for the PRP to further nourish the skin.
All of our PRP treatments are 90 minutes in duration
- All PRP appointments are confirmed with a deposit.
- If you are a new patient, please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment so that you can fill-out the necessary documentation
- If you are an existing patient, please arrive 5 minutes prior to your appointment so that we can check whether your patient file is up-to-date.
- PRP Skin Rejuvenation (face) – R4,000 per treatment
- PRP Skin Rejuvenation (face, neck & chest) – R5,000 per treatment
- PRP Hair Restoration – R3,000 per treatment
Our PRP treatments are performed by Dr Melinda Dommisse at our medical practices in Green Point & Somerset West.
Dr Wade Merchant is a medical doctor with a special interest in aesthetic and anti-ageing medicine, he has been administering and injecting Botox and Dysport for over 5 years at his practices in Green Point & Somerset West. Dr Wade is also qualified with a 2-year Advanced Diploma in Aesthetic Medicine.
Dr Melinda Dommisse is a qualified medical doctor who qualified from Stellenbosch University. She moved to London where she did her aesthetic training and worked as a GP with a special interest in aesthetic and anti-aging medicine. Prior to returning to South Africa she worked at 2 well-known clinics in Harley Street, London
OUR GREEN POINT PRACTICE
OUR SOMERSET WEST PRACTICE
021 433 0967
173 Main Road
(Corner of Main and Clyde Road)
Green Point, Cape Town
Location on Google Maps
021 433 0967
Corner of the R44 & De Beers Avenue
(Inside of the Paardevlei Complex)
Paardevlei Rising 1 (Building name)
*We are opposite the Cheetah Sanctuary
1st Floor, Unit 102, Paardevlei, Somerset West
Location on Google Maps