LASER HAIR REMOVAL
IPL Hair removal is available at both our practices, in Green Point & Somerset West. We make use of one of the best IPL devices available from around the world, the Venus Versa.
Do I need to shave or wax before the treatment?
No waxing, else the treatment wont work. You can shave about 3 days prior your treatment.
Can I wax after the treatment?
No, the treatment will not be effective if you wax
Will I immediately see a difference in the amount of hair?
No, it will take about a week, for the hair to fall out.
Is this permanent?
No, it is only hair reduction. You will have to do maintenance sessions every few months
Can I work out after the treatment?
No, we advise to wait 24 hours post treatment
Does this burn the skin?
There is always a risk of a blister forming, however very unlikely.
How does it feel?
It is similar sensation to the flicking of an elastic band on your skin
Can I have this done while pregnant?
How will my skin look and feel afterwards?
Slightly redness with a bit of a heat sensation.
How long does the treatment take?
Anything form 30min to 45 min
Why do I need a patch test?
This is to ensure that the therapist can get the correct treatment settings for you as well as to check if you do not get any reaction.
One week before your treatment:
- Shave a 3 – 5 days prior your treatment (we need to see the hair)
- Do not wax or tweeze – through the entire course of treatments
- Avoid sun exposure, can’t perform the treatment on excessively tanned skin
- Start using a SPF daily even if you stay indoors
- Don’t use any scrubs or exfoliators on the treated area
- Stop using the following products: Retinols (Retinoic acid Retin A/ Retinol/ Retinoic Acetate), Alpha Hydroxy Acids (Glycolic & Lactic acid) and Salicylic acid on the treated area
- If your skin is prone to sensitivity (e.g eczema, psoriasis, rosacea or stinging sensation or reaction from products) we advise to first come in for a consult that we can give you guidelines on how to prep your skin’s barrier so that you can tolerate the treatment better.
- Should you be prone to cold sores or herpes infection please let us know – you may require two days of an oral anti-viral medication prior to your procedure in order to prevent a herpes break-out
- Tanning beds or tanning creams within two weeks prior your treatment
You might experience the following:
- Swelling and redness around the follicles of the hair
- Itching sensations in treated area
- Slight warmth
- Discomfort is mild
After your treatment:
- Avoid hot baths, Jacuzzis, Pools for 48hours
- Avoid applying ice or cooling compresses to the treated area
- Moisturiser can be applied 24 hours after each treatment
- Make up – directly after treatment – do not sleep with makeup on the treated areas. Unless it is Lycogel – a medical grade concealer
- Avoid sun exposure, tanning beds, artificial sunless tanning lotions
- May shave after your treatment
- Normal not to see any hair reduction straight after the treatment – the hair will fall out naturally with time